Exploring the Grey Area of Disparity
Title: Disparities on the Life Continuum
Description: Listen to Dr. Tyan Parker Dominguez of the University of Southern California address racial and socioeconomic disparities, racism stress and life course perspectives on health and health equity.
Title: Equity in these Uncertain Times
Description: Hear from a multi-disciplined cohort addressing the state of health equity in their respective industries that range from focuses on health literacy to effects of policy change at the local health department level.
- Analyze how to support policy influencers and the chronic illness community’s partners through holding meetings with state and local representatives to share stories, solicit support for priority issues, and build capacity for new advocates.
- Discuss how practitioners, health care professionals and stakeholders can actively engage with disparate communities to deepen our understanding of the pervasive and complex ways that structural racism affects individual and community-level health.
- Recognize the need for integration of race-conscious practices in healthcare settings and programs based on the social justice principles and history of public health. These practices can include models, theories, and methodologies that explicitly recognize discrimination and racial injustice as a threat to health.
Event Location: NCPC (Atrium and E-Lab)
Time: 8am EST
Nikita Toppin Dera, MPH – Program Manager – National Center for Primary Care at Morehouse School of Medicine
|8:00 – 9:30 AM||Registration- PDHE staff
Implicit Bias testing after check-in- PDHE staff
|Atrium- Registration and Check-in
E-Lab- Implicit Bias Testing
|8:45-9:30 AM||Continental Breakfast and Networking
Networking activities/Ice breakers- Nikita
|9:30- 9:45 AM||Welcome & Introductions
Sabrina Jackson or Dominic Mack
|9:45-10:00 AM||Unpacking the Bias Test- TBD or Nikita||Atrium|
|10:00- 11:00 AM
|11:15-12:30 PM||Health Equity Panel Discussion- Equity in these Uncertain Times
Moderated by: Dominic H. Mack, MD
· Tyan Parker-Dominguez, PhD
· Megan Douglas, JD
· Shana Scott, JD, MPH
· Anne Gaglioti, MD
· Christine Willis, MLIS, AHIP
|12:30- 1:30 PM||Lunch & Networking
|1:30- 2:15 PM||PETAL Framework presentation/workshop
Megan Douglas, JD
|2:15- 2:45PM||Actionable writing workshop with collaboration from group at table||Atrium|
|2:45- 3:30 PM||Best Ideas/ Closing/ Network||Atrium|